Thursday, February 10, 2011

Sketch Support Card Challenge

A Note to my Readers:
  
     Thanks for hopping by and checking out my blog and for signing up to be a follower. When I started it was just my hubby, brother-in -law and his realtor, three non-scrapping guys. I thought I'd have to change the direction of my blog to suit their interests. Although... I do have a post in mind for my non-scrappy male readers, so stay tuned. I wanted to say thank you to my friends, family and fellow scrappers for supporting this endeavor, which is really out of my comfort zone to share so much. Anyways, I hope you are here of your own accord and weren't coerced by my family. Haha. Glad you found your way here.

Sketch Support Card Challenge

     Sketch Support will be hosting weekly challenges so check out Allison Davis' site  if you are interested. This week's challenge was to create a card using her card sketch along with Jillibean Soup papers. If you missed this week's challenge, next week's challenge is to create a layout using her double page layout sketch plus Jillibean Soup products.

sample of Jillibean Soup products

Allison Davis' card sketch

My take on the card sketch

close up of the hand rolled roses

     I don't make cards that much, so it was kind of fun to challenge myself. Here is my thought process in regards to creating this card: When I think of Jillibean Soup products, I think of kraft cardstock and twine, don't know if they would be happy with that association, but that was my foundation. I matched that with some of their Pasta Fagioli papers and ribbon, because that is all I had without having to go out and buy more stuff. I also wanted some added dimension to my card so I decided to include some 3-D flowers. After viewing over 20 tutorials, I picked these hand rolled roses which seemed relatively easy to make but are also very cute. If you are interested, you can watch a video tutorial by Brittny LeJeune from her blog here.  It is very easy so don't be intimidated if you want to try one, just be careful with the hot glue gun. I did burn my finger a bit. But no pain no gain right? I popped up some leaves and hot glued the roses on a pocket with a pull out tag. I then stitched around the pocket on three sides to secure it, but also to repeat the color of the tag and add another design element to the card. I never would have stitched on any project before, but Allison Davis encouraged us to try it in her My Creative Classroom class and I have to agree it does add a special touch to all projects. 

inside of card

I will be sending this out to one of my followers next week. Who could it be?

Sketch Advocacy 

     I am a big advocate of sketches, especially if you feel stuck and have trouble starting a page. You can download some sketches from Sketch Support or you can purchase Allison's books from her family's scrapbooking store, Scrapbook Generations here

Allison's sketchbook

It is kind of like if you don't know what to cook for dinner, you look in a cook book for a recipe. Think of sketches as a recipe for your layout. It isn't really copying someone because you choose the colors, papers, embellishments and interpretation of the sketch. Here are some cards from Sketch Support's design team who also used the same sketch and same materials as mentioned above, but we all made very different cards. 

Christina Hoffman's version

Katrina Hunt's card


Allison Davis turned it into a layout


If you have some old photos lying around that you've been meaning to scrap, just grab some papers and a sketch and give it a go. It is how I start the majority of my pages. TTFN! 

7 comments:

Becky said...

I love your card! I have about 5 failed rosettes lying around on my craft table right now. I will get the hang of it one day!

anet said...

absolutely fabulous card! love the stitching. It really does add something.

debvel said...

i'm loving the blog.

Michelle McClure said...

Thanks so much for your positive comments, I'm actually nervous about casting out my thoughts into cyberspace.

annielizabeth said...

Hi Michelle, I esp. love the hand-rolled roses. Your blog is really pretty! I'm gonna learn all about scrapbooking from you, hee, hee. See ya soon!

Allison Davis said...

Such a beautiful card Michelle! Those roses are amazing! :)

annielizabeth said...

Hi Michelle! I'm passing the Stylish Blogger Award to you! You can go to my blog and read about it there. Play along if you want to. Happy day to you!

Post a Comment