Tuesday, February 1, 2011

A 12 Hour Scrap

      I went to a 12 hour scrap on January 15th at my local scrapbook store, Scrapbook Buddies.

Previous all day scrap,
12/17/09 with Jenn and Debby. 
Prior to going the first time, I thought I'd get so much done, but the time just flew by and I didn't accomplish as much as I thought I would. This time I knew more what to expect and brought just three projects and that is what I finished in 12 hours.

I finally finished my Kyoto album. The trip was 9 days, but the album took 6 months. I was thinking for next time what if I only took 1 photo per day on a trip, that would make it easier to organize, scrap and finish a vacation album. This time I had to rifle through hundreds of photos.

I wanted to post these three layouts here because it is a follow up to my previous post. I think these are more aligned to my personal style. I don't think I'm quite there yet, but after looking through some older albums, I'm getting closer to achieving a specific look, like finding your author's voice when you write.



The Samurai Way Layout

      For this one, I went with a collage effect on one side and the title and journaling on the other side. I received some samurai postcards from a store and cut out the samurai as the embellishment. I don't know what he is doing but it seem pretty hilarious, and matched our silly photos. The inside joke of this layout is that we went to the last hold out of Oda Nobunaga, a fierce warrior who helped unify Japan during the late 1500s, and his current descendant is a male figure skater, Oda Nobunaga. Jenn and I were reenacting his final battle and then figure skating moves.


 
 Oda Nobunaga
Oda Nobunari




Jenn and I did meet Nobunari when he was
in L.A. for the world championships 3/09.



6 Hour Johnnie Hillwalker Tour

      I mimicked the hillwalking part by laying out the embellishments and title in a hilly pattern. When I was done with the layout I drew gold flourishes with some glitter glue from a squeeze bottle. That was kind of scary because I could have ruined the whole layout at that point, but no risk no reward, right? The funny part of this layout is Jenn has that pained expression because Kevin was poking her with an umbrella while acting nonchalant. I emailed Allison Davis my Japan layouts and she liked this one the best.

Byodoin Layout

      This one is actually my favorite layout from some of my recent works for various reasons. I've always liked to collect little things, like stickers when I was young. This utilizes many of the things I collected during this trip. I used the entrance ticket, brochure, Japanese yen and bookmark. I added some pagoda charms for jewelry making mixed with Halloween ribbon and washi papers that I bought for a classroom project. I'm glad I could use what I collected so it had a purpose.

    Also, this temple is over 1.000 years old and is commemorated on two Japanese currency. My dad is holding up the 10,000 yen and stuck a 10 yen on his forehead. I can't believe he would act like that, who knew parents could have a sense of humor. Overall, I just thought this layout represented my current style the best, but it is still a journey of self discovery. What will tomorrow hold?

1 comments:

Post a Comment