Tuesday, March 29, 2011

You Color My World



Working with Page Maps
I was wondering what type of layout to work on next when Kevin suggested an artistic color challenge. I decided to use the photos we took at Knott's Berry Farm when we were experimenting with the special features that I always overlooked on my little camera. I combined that with a sketch by Becky Fleck, who authored several books including Page Maps. Here is her sketch:

Becky Fleck's page map

In terms of placement, I rotated the large horizontal photo and die cut piece, so those two elements became vertical, enlarged the photo into a 5 x 7", and combined the two smaller photos into one 3 x 4" photo. I kept the other elements in the same place.


My interpretation of the sketch

Some other fun little touches I included were, instead of 3 buttons and journaling strips, I wrote on a tag, elevated it with foam adhesive and inserted 3 stick pins into the foam. I also wanted to highlight Kevin's photo so he got a triple border and I folded a strip of ribbon underneath and trimmed the edges so it resembled a banner sign. 


Journaling and ribbon banner
 I wanted to utilize the title to further the theme. I made the more important words larger and more colorful, and the most important word with a raised and patterned initial letter. In the sketch there was a stitched circle around the title, but I did not feel like sewing on this particular layout and was thinking about another way to encapsulate the title. I ended up cutting a heart to outline "my" and used an arrow instead of the vertical strip since it matched my heart. I also popped up the heart, but it was difficult to cut the adhesive into thin slivers to fit beneath the outlined heart. All in all, I liked how it turned out. The title became more of an embellishment and fit in nicely with the page, and wasn't too stark.


Title

Usually my layouts tell a story, this was more of a technique layout. I was experimenting with color, design and adaptation of a sketch. Kevin gave me the challenge and I answered. I even submitted it to Scrapbook & Cards Today magazine where Becky Fleck is the editor. It is a free magazine found in scrapbook stores or you can download and read it here. The spring issue just came out this week. 


Kids and Scrapbooking

On Sketch Support this week, they are highlighting kid scrapbookers. Basically it is the design team members' kids using the March sketches. The layouts are so cute and their answers to interview questions are so sweet and sometimes funny. Here is 4 year old guest designer Mason working on his page. His best tip for other scrapbookers is, "Scrapbook your pictures, then put 'em on the fridge and take them to Granny!" To see all the kids' work, go to Sketch Support each day this week. 

Thanks for reading and happy spring!

1 comments:

Unknown said...

great take on the sketch!

Post a Comment