Sunday, June 26, 2011

The Start of Summer (& Headbands Tips)

Summer Plans:
I will be traveling this summer to visit my family in Asia and Kevin's family in the mid-west, with a few lil' stops along the way. I mention this as I don't know if I'll have internet access in some of the places, nor will I be able to craft for a month or so. I'll try to post whenever I can, but I don't know if I can be consistent with postings this summer.

I start the first leg of my journey today, as Kevin and I are going to Branson, Missouri to spend a few days with his Dad before heading to his home in Kentucky. Hope y'all have some fun summer plans too.

Kevin and his Dad during our last visit to KY

My Ol' Kentucky home, I'm always amazed by all the pastoral land there.
This is his family's yard. 

Handmade Gifts:
I wanted to leave you with some scrappy goodness before I leave. I made some headbands as gifts recently. It started when my grandmother received a plastic brooch as a gift and didn't want it. I pinned it on a plastic headband and it was really cute. I decided to make a few more that are more embellished to give as gifts during my travels. So Dad, here is a preview of your gift. Just kidding.


Embellished with Brooches
Embellished with Flowers
I started with some plain plastic headbands. On the areas that I'm going to glue embellishments onto the headband, I abraded the plastic with my D-Stress tool. You can also use a Dremel tool. This created more surface area for the glue to adhere to. 

Distressing the areas of adhesion
On the pink headband shown above, I glued on some buttons and clay Plumeria flowers. On the blue headband show below, I only distressed the small areas I was going to glue on a Glam-rock. It is a metallic accent with glue that melts when heated. I used my I-Rock tool to heat it, you can also use a soldering iron.

Heating on the Glam-rocks

I modeled the finished product, hope the recipients won't mind. I'm sure it would look better on some cute little ladies I know.
Enameled butterfly brooch

Clay plumeria flowers
Silk and tulle flowers
Hope to talk to you all soon.

Take care,

1 comments:

Becky said...

Those headbands are fantastic! I love the butterfly one. Have a great trip!

Post a Comment