Thursday, June 30, 2011

My Last Reveal with Sketchabilities

The Layout:
I can't believe this is my last reveal with Sketchabilities. I will always have a special place in my heart for my first design team. It was wonderful knowing everyone on the DT and I hope we will meet up again in the scrappin' world.

Here is my layout:

What a Tweet View
Here is Karan Gerber's sketch.

Sketchabilites sketch #50

Stop by Sketchabilities to see all the different layouts by the design team or to link your own version to the blog post. Who knows, you might be featured as the next guest designer on the blog.

The Story:
These are pictures from Kevin's spring break in April when we went to Santa Barbara. I turned in this assignment around that time, so these were my latest pictures at that point. This is the view from the top of the Santa Barbara Courthouse over looking the city. I took several pictures from the same point and I was going to use panoramic merge on Photoshop to stitch it into one continuous picture. After I went home, I realized my version was too old and didn't have this feature, so I just did it the old fashion way with scissors and glue, instead of with newfangled contraptions. 

My own panoramic merge

The three photos of the view are the three from the sketch but I linked them together instead of having them separated. Then I thought it looked a bit empty without some people in the layout, so I added one photo each of me and Kevin. The one he took of me is very artistic as he placed me between the arches and told me to gaze off into the distance. I was playing with the green color capture mode, so the one I took of him on the balcony rail makes him look sickly since only the green is apparent. Oh well, I admit Kevin takes better photos than me. Sorry babe, I did try, you can take the photos next time. I popped up our two photos along the two sides for some added depth. 

Kevin in green color capture mode
The columns are popped up for a 3-D effect
The Details:
I used papers and lace from Crate Paper's Neighborhood collection. It is a soft and subtle and sweet collection. 

Crate Paper's Neighborhood collection
I choose a cream colored background with a scalloped yellow border. I used the border as my inspiration piece for my embellishments. I took some yellow lace, pleated it and glued it in a scalloped pattern like the paper. 

Scalloped lace accent strip

I hand stitched two borders and two salmon colored bows, also replicating the bows in the design.

Hand stitched border and bow


My favorite part of the layout were the circular embellishment clusters. I punched out small details from my courthouse photos. In all, I used 10 photos in a single page layout that has a lot of negative space. I tend to want to put multiple photos onto a layout, the more the merrier right?

Photo embellishments

I'm writing this a week earlier from home in L.A., but on this post date I'm actually on a 6 hour drive from Branson, MO to Kevin's family's house in Wingo, KY. 

Hope y'all are doing well,

6 comments:

Margreet said...

Wow, what a view!!Love your take on the sketch. So many details.

pysselpetra said...

Love all that stitching ♥ a grande finale - we will miss you at the team ♥ good luck with your future assignments ♥ see ya

Ashley said...

Gorgeous layout, love the embellishments! Looking forward to seeing more of your creations, I am now a follower. :)

I would love if you stopped by my new craft blog, Made Especially For You.

Ashley
http://especiallymade.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

amazing!! LOVE this!

Miranda said...

Great layout. I'm gonna miss you at the DT!

gracescraps@gmail.com said...

Gorgeous LO, Michelle! Love the stitching. Congrats on making the DT at ScrapFIT. I'm looking forward to getting to know you and seeing more of your fabulous work! ~ Blessings

http://gracescraps.blogspot.com/

Post a Comment