Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Birthday Bash

Isaiah, Lili, Snowy and I with his pinata

Isaiah's birthday party came and went this past weekend. I would deem it a success, based on kids running around in a blur. I think their favorite part was the Easter egg hunt.
Easter egg hunt

Maya Road Triangle Album
Birthday Banner:
In terms of scrappy goodness, I had this Maya Road chipboard album set lying around that I wanted to use. I had talked to Vic about a Cars theme for the party months ago. I saw some Cars Christmas ornaments at CVS of all places in December and bought a set for this project. I had my supplies ready months in advanced, but made this just days before the party. I think I was resistant to joining in on a overused trend, banners. But the project matched perfectly with a birthday theme and I thought he could hang it up in his room afterwards. Here is my first banner:

Isaiah's banner


I used Bo Bunny's Learning Curve collection which had the red, blue and yellows that I wanted even though it was a school theme, regular cars chipboard embellishments and Cars Christmas ornaments. I decided to cover the chipboard with paper instead of painting since it was less messy. I punched through the chipboard with my Crop-a-dile and tied on the ornaments. I had a small frame leftover from another project and put Isaiah's photo in it. There are 6 letters in his name, there were only 5 ornaments so this worked out. I tried to keep the decorations more masculine for a boy so I didn't use ribbon, scalloped edges and the like. It was quite easy. Here are some close-ups:

Dangling mini-photo frame
Dangling Christmas ornament

Birthday Dirt:

Once for Halloween I made a dirt cup dessert, with chocolate pudding topped with crushed cookies, candy worms and a Milano cookie tombstone iced with RIP. I thought I could incorporate that idea into a Cars theme. I decided to decorate a cup with Lightning McQueen saying, "Eat My Dirt!" It seems like something he'd say. The hardest part was getting the right shape to wrap a plastic cup. A rectangular label did not fit a cup with angled sides. Kevin figured out that you needed a fan shape so he made calculations and designed the template for me using the space between two differently sized circles and two rectangles. This is the final shape:

Eat my dirt labels
Digitally decorating it was a breeze compared to creating the template. Here is the final product which the kids enjoyed eating. I used sugar free pudding to offset the other sugary ingredients. 


He really did eat one this time,
he refused when it came with a kid's meal at a restaurant. 

Take care and happy crafting,

1 comments:

Jenn Melyan said...

I remember the Halloween pudding cup! I really like your scraptacular creations~ I think a lot of the adults ate dirt that day.

Post a Comment