Saturday, February 18, 2012

Pages Reveal: Baby Banner

The Reveal:
The February assignment for Pages from the Heart was to create a banner project. The one I originally made was picked up for submission, so I had to retrieve my project from the store. I found out that the magazine will keep it for 6 months before they return it so I decided to make another one for Pages. Without further ado, let me introduce my little niece, Zemira, to the scrapping world.

 I've made a lot of projects featuring my nephew Isaiah, like this one of him falling out of the car card. I didn't want his little sister to feel left out so I made a wall hanging for her new room using her Christmas morning photos. Good thing she was wearing a pink and brown coat which matched my collection colors.

Isaiah's Card
The Details:
I was given Authentique's "Miracle Girl" kit which is a 700+ piece collection with a baby girl them. There is also a boy version with blues and greens. This was actually the fifth project I've made from the same kit. You don't have to use it for baby projects as I made a more masculine card for Kevin from this kit. 

Patterned Papers: Authentique
Die Cuts: Authentique
Stickers: Authentique
Mist: Tattered Angels
Jewels: Making Memories
Ink: ColorBox, Ranger
Twine: The Twinery
Liquid Adhesive: Fabric-tac by Beacon
Clothespins: Lowe Cornell (Jo-Ann Crafts)
Other: buttons, string, frame

As I was pondering the banner assignment, I thought that a clothesline looked similar to a banner. I also starting imagining cute baby clothes being hung on the line with clothespins so I just went with that idea and hung Zemira on the line.

I anchored my three photos of unto hand cut tags. I decorated the tags with twine, buttons, die cuts and stickers. I had previously purchased some wooden clothespins from a craft store, so I used that to hang the tags onto a piece of brown string. To fill in the space in between the tags, and to bring in more of a banner feel, I hand cut some little flags, glued on a few buttons and attached that to the string.

For the frame, I went to a thrift store and purchased a framed wall art which was still new in package. I was looking for something cute or elegant in a bright white but could only find a rustic brown in the size I wanted. I decided to use the best available find and make it work. I took out the central art piece which was a pineapple print and cut out part of the central mat so I would have a bigger space to work with. The large mat that was left was an unappealing beige color, so I took my Tim Holtz Distress Ink and rubbed it over the mat to create a woodgrain look which matched the rustic charm of the frame. I also sprayed a bit of glimmer mist onto the mat to add a bit of shimmer and femininity.

Be creative and work with what you have, you might be surprised by what you can achieve.

Thanks for stopping by,


Heidi said...

That is awesome!! I soo want to do something like this. Great idea.

Shannon Fralish said...

Wow, Michelle, this is a beautiful project! Your niece and her parents are sure to treasure it forever. Very, very nice work.

Post a Comment