Thursday, May 10, 2012

Travel Layout - Borsang Umbrella Village

The Reveal
I have a single paged layout to share today that I recently created about my summer trip to Thailand. When I found out there was a handicraft village just outside of Chaing Mai, I really wanted to take a peek.

Borsang Umbrella Village
The Village
We went to several different factories, including a silver jewelry production site and saw how they carved wax molds to shape the silver and a silk factory that displayed the silk production process. We also went to a hand carved wooden furniture factory. Kevin and Jenn are sitting on some elephant head stools. 


These are some teak tree trunks used to carve the furniture. 


My favorite was the umbrella village where they hand make and paint paper umbrellas. 


There was a section where the artists would paint directly on items you already possessed. So I had my camera bag, sandals and shorts painted. Bor Sang Village and San Kamphaeng Road also nicknamed "handicraft highway" is definitely worth a visit if you are the crafty type. 







The Details
Back to the layout...I saw this sketch on Liz Qualman's blog and really liked the three intersecting lines at the top. It reminded me of a tightrope so I went with that theme.

I paired the sketch with my umbrella factory photos and some bright LYB papers that reminded me of the umbrella colors. The collection even had an umbrella sticker which I cut down to match another bird sticker so I could transform the bird into a tightrope walker. 


I cut out some flowers in the patterned paper and popped them up over another strip of the same flowers for a fun embellishment. I bought some handmade paper flower stickers when I was in Thailand, so I placed those as the flower center. 


The sketch is designed for 3 photos, but I wanted to use more photos, so I used the TurboCollage App to create a 6 photo collage within the same photo space. 


I hope you enjoyed this glimpse into my travels.

Thanks so much for stoppin' by,


10 comments:

Staci said...

You did a beautiful job! Love your photos. :-)

Shannon Fralish said...

Your layout is fantastic! Great colors, design and I love the story -- it's all eye-catching, for sure. Wonderful job...I love it!!

Anonymous said...

awesome LO! Great take on the sketch!

Suzanne said...

Wonderful layout, and the village sounds like a great place to visit.

Madeline said...

Oooo...LOve all the pretty colors! Great design!

Erica said...

Thats a great layout and I love what you did with it!

Mary Pat Siehl said...

what a great layout! thanks for stopping by my blog today! can't wait to have fun on the SS blog hop! see you then!

Karen Letchworth said...

What a WONDERFUL blog post and a great layout! I hope you will consider playing along at:
www.wordartwednesday.blogspot.com
Would LOVE to have you join us for fun and prizes!
Blessings,
Karen L

LB whosthischick said...

I love all the colors you chose-they really show off the pictures and help showcase the handicraft styles. How Cool! Great trip.

Teka Cochonneau said...

really stunning. the colors are all bright and beautiful. :)

Post a Comment