Monday, November 4, 2013

Paper House: Altered Cigar Box

The Project
I wanted to give a jewelry box for a birthday present and decided to make my own. I took a dark brown wooden cigar box and altered it to make a gift for a young girl. The birch bark in the scrapbooking paper still gave it the appearance of a wooden box, but with a much lighter and more feminine look.


The Inspiration
I was talking to my father who mentioned that one of his friends liked to smoke cigars. I mentioned that I would like one of his leftover cigar boxes. I forgot about this conversation until I received a package in the mail a few months later that contained two empty cigar boxes. Since my father and his friend live in Taiwan and sent it across the Pacific to me, I thought I'd better put them to good use. Here is a picture of the one of the boxes in its unaltered state. I'm sad to say the other box did not survive the transit.



Instructions
I made this at a crop forgot to take pictures during the process. I guess I was too busy talking to my cohorts.


1. Sand the outside of the box with a rough sand paper. This will let the paint or adhesive adhere better.
2. Paint the box with craft paint. You can just paint along the edges so any exposed parts of the box will not be noticeable, especially the seams.
3. Trace each side of the box onto scrapbooking paper and cut out the pieces.
4. Spread a layer of Mod Podge onto one side of the box. Place the corresponding piece of scrapbook paper onto the box. Try to lay the paper onto the box as smooth and flat as possible so it will not have air bubbles.
5. Spread another layer of Mod Podge onto the top of the scrapbook paper. Let dry.
6. Continue process with each side of the box. I left the bottom unaltered.
7. Decorate the box with embellishments and stickers.

I decorated all the exposed sides. Here is a view of some different angles. It turned out so cute, it will be difficult to give this one away.



Supplies
Backyard Birds Collection (SBC-0160) - Paper House Productions
Acrylic Paint
Sandpaper
Cigar Box
Mod Poodle
Paint Brush

If you would like an instruction sheet for this project, here is a downloadable PDF. This project is also up on Paper House's blog today


I'm entering this in:
613 Avenue Create: #44 Anything Goes
Craftin Desert Diva's Linky Party: Anything Goes
The Paper Nest Dolls: #16 Anything Goes
Simon Says Stamps Wednesday Challenge: Anything Goes

Thanks so much for stoppin' by,

12 comments:

Mirabyll said...

What a lovely project! The little girl will be so happy!

Susie Bentz: My Time to Play said...

Just beautiful! I have some cigar boxes I am trying to decide how to alter. Thanks for the inspiration!

Amy said...

Wow! That is a really nice project! I know it will be well loved!!

Unknown said...

A very pretty jewlery box, it must have took ages to make...... Thank you for joining us over at The Paper Nest Dolls Challenge - anything goes, Keeley DT X X X

Tracie Marie said...

So beautiful!!!!

Emily Adams said...

Wow - what a transformation!

NicoleDesigns said...

You did a lovely job altering this box.... thanks for sharing with us at the PND challenge blog... xo Nikki DT

Brianna loeffelbein said...

Wow, I would have never known that was a cigar box at one point, Beautiful!! Thanks for joining us over at The Paper Nest Doll Challenge Blog.

Unknown said...

Beautiful I love the papers yor used thanks for linking up at Craftin Desert Diva's

Jenn Zeeb said...

Thanks so much for playing along with us this week for the Paper Nest Dolls "Anything Goes Challenge” with us! Just loved your box, and hope to see you back here next week!

Paper Nest Dolls DT
Jenn Zeeb

Chana Malkah said...

Hi, Michelle! Just wanted to let you know that your Altered Cigar Box is featured in our "Monday Wake Up Call" on our FaceBook Page at https://www.facebook.com/avenue613 .
Hugz,
Chana, Owner
613 Avenue Create Challenge Blog

Camille Short said...

What a sweet project! I was surprised to read that was simply paper!

Post a Comment