Monday, October 7, 2013

Paper House: Australia Wall Hanging

The Project
I was browsing my local neighborhood thrift store and I saw some circular frames for $1.00. I bought a few and thought it would be fun to make a circular layout instead of the usual square. Later I figured out that these weren't photo frames, but were plate holders for decorative collector's plates.


The Collection
I used Paper House's Australia Collection. There are so many great details in this collection. I cut out a portion of the Ayres Rock paper, and it was the perfect background for my layout.


The Process
1. Cut  a 7” cardstock circle as a base. Cut a 7” circle on the patterned paper and adhere onto the cardstock. The cardstock isn’t seen, it gives the layout more support.

2. Using a sewing machine, stitch three revolutions around the edge of the circle. This creates a circular border without using a mat, especially if you use a contrasting colored thread.

3. Adhere your photo onto the patterned paper. Decorate with the coordinating cardstock stickers. Add your own title or use a sticker as the title.

4. For a finishing touch, add some small embellishments along the stitched circles. I used some sequins, brads and wood veneer shapes. I colored in the wood veneer shapes with a marker. I used a glitter brush tipped pen on the wood shapes and the title for some added sparkle.


5. I made my layout smaller than the frame dimension so it would look like it was floating when hung on the wall. You can make the layout to the size of the frame and not have the extra space around the edge. To attach the layout to the frame, tie some sewing thread to the back of the frame in a triangular pattern through the plate holder brackets. Place the layout on the thread and secure it with tape. To make it more secure, adhere another 7” cardstock circle over the exposed back. I just left it as is, since no one will see the back, unless you view the photo below.


If you would like an instruction sheet, here is a downloadable PDF. This project is also up on Paper House's blog today


Supplies
Paper House Productions Products:
Australia Collection (SBC-0164)
Ayers Rock paper (P-0677E)
Australia 2 Cardstock Stickers (STCX-0183E)
Other:
Collector Plate Frame for 8.5” plate: Van Hygan & Smythe
Cardstock: Bazzill
Sewing Machine: Kenmore
Thread: Coats & Clark
Sequins: Darice
Brads: Tim Holtz, Creative Impressions
Wood Veneer Shapes: Studio Calico
Markers: Copic
Glitter Pen: Zig
Tape: Scotch

Thanks so much for stoppin' by,

0 comments:

Post a Comment