Thursday, August 22, 2013

An American in London Layout

The Layout
I wasn't sure how to scrap my photos from London as they all looked similar - selfies in front of various famous buildings. Instead of having to choose between the specific sites, I decided to make a fun general page. At least I now have a representative page for the whole trip.



The Sketch
When I saw the August sketch from Life.Paper.Scrapbook., I thought it looked like a camera with photos in the lens so I decided to run with that idea.


Variations
  • I rotated the sketch 90° counterclockwise.
  • I made the patterned paper square into a camera. 
  • Instead of the two photos, I made one circular photo to fit in the entire lens. 
  • Since the Instagram icon camera was square,  I replicated that look. 



The Details
I wanted a soft wash of color on my white background to anchor my camera. I stamped some blue ink onto a craft mat and sprayed that with water. I also sprayed water on my white cardstock. I used a sponge to dab the ink onto my paper. The water made the ink bleed and spread out like watercolors, which was the effect I wanted. It took me three tries experimenting with different products until I achieved the look I wanted.


Here is a closer look at the background with the title cluster. Since I used the Instagram icon, I wanted to use "Insta" in the title. 


I brought back some souvenirs for the purposed of scrapping them so I wanted to incorporate stickers I bought from the Tower of London gift shop, leftover coins and a keychain. 


Underneath my journaling ticket, I made a row of embellishments from the keychain charms and coin. 


In the camera viewfinder I placed a tiny picture of my husband in front of the Queen's Guard's sentry box. Of course next to him I had to use the Queen's Guard sticker. 


It is always fun to interpret a sketch in your own way.

I'm entering this in these challenges:
Life.Paper.Scrapbook.: August Sketch
MilkCoffee: Bon Voyage/Vacation
Paper Crafting Journey: Anything Goes
By Lori Designs: #53 Aqua and Red

Thanks so much for  visitin'


14 comments:

Lucia said...

wow, what an AWESOME idea to make it look like instagram :D stunning page Michelle! Thank you for playing along at LPS :) xx

Mirabyll said...

That is so inovative! This will be such a perfect time capsule many years from now! The picture is really funny!

Erica said...

What a cute idea!!

Fawn said...

Great idea! I love how you used your memorabilia. Fun photo!

Unknown said...

This is a really clever layout and I love how you interpreted our sketch- thanks for playing with us at LPS!

Chantelle said...

oh I love how you viewed the sketch - very clever. It's a wonderful page - thanks for playing along at LPS.

Melinda Spinks said...

Michelle, just love your interpretation of the sketch... absolutely adorable and so fun.

Melinda Spinks said...

Michelle, just love your interpretation of the sketch... absolutely adorable and so fun.

Anonymous said...

Wow - super fun, LO!!

Michelle said...

How cool is this layout!! :)
Thanks for playing along at LPS

Stéphanie Grenouillat said...

REally love your layout! so gorgeous!
Thanks for playing with us at Life.Paper.Scrapbook :)

Tina's Crop Shop said...

Absolutely gorgeous layout!

Sheri Gilson said...

Great layout! Thank you for playing along with By LORi Designs!

Dwie lewe rączki said...

Great work and a lot of details. Thanks for joining us at Paper Crafting Journey!
Hugs, Iwona

Post a Comment