Monday, March 25, 2013

Pages from the Heart: Detour Collection

For Pages from the Heart, I made a series of projects using Bo Bunny's Detour collection, which is a travel themed line. 


The first project I completed was a layout of my new puppy which I've already blogged about  here. I also made an altered item and a mini-album. 

Rockstar Altered Item
Even though this is a travel collection, I wanted to make something non-travel related. I paired it with a can of Rockstar Energy Drink since the colors of the can matched perfectly with the colors of the Detour collection.


I used a cloth wrapped floral stem, which can be found in the floral section of a craft store, as the starting off point. I attached a sign which reads, "I think you're a ..." which is completed by the name of the drink. To continue the rockstar theme, I made some star shaped flowers and attached it to the sign. The floral stem is a green color and didn't match, so to tone it down, I wrapped some black washi tape around the stem. 



I adhered the stem to a belly band that I wrapped around the drink. This would make a fun gift to give to a guy, especially on Valentine's Day. 

New Orleans Mini Album
For my last project, I made a travel mini-album. The cover is a piece of plain chipboard that I folded and added patterned papers and embellishments onto. I hole punched it and used two book rings to secure the inside pages. I tied some Mardi Gras beads to the rings and added the baby Jesus that Kevin found in his King cake to the cover. 



This is a view of the back cover. 



The best part of the album is that the inside pages are made from the 6 x 6" sheets. Just make a 2" fold along one edge, take two folded pieces and stitch on three sides. This will give you a pocket along the 2" fold to store tags, photos and memorabilia. 


The bonus is that there is an extra space between the pages (back to back). That is where I placed my journaling with little pull tabs. For more info. about the construction, please see this post from Practical Scrapper's blog. 

Here is a view of all the pages inside. 


This is a great way to use up those 6 x 6" pads. If you don't have that, then just cut up a 12 x 12" paper and you'll have four pages to work with. I ended up placing all the memorabilia I brought back from my trip (brochures, photos, business cards, bookmarks, pins) inside the album. Otherwise, it would just be gathering dust in a forgotten drawer. 

All the projects are on display at Pages from the Heart, so you can see it in person when you come on by!

2 comments:

Jennifer Grace said...

I love the pull tabs with all the journaling hidden away - great idea! x

LB whosthischick said...

I totally love your new orleans mini album, how fun. We had a great time when we visited so long ago.

Post a Comment