Thursday, December 13, 2012

Fresh Squeezed Stamps: Mardi Gras World


The Stamps
For my second guest designer project with Fresh Squeezed Stamps, I'm working with a feather themed stamp set entitled, "Tickle My Fancy." When I first saw this set, I was reminded of Mardi Gras since feathers are used in a lot of the parade masks and costumes. I just happen to have visited Mardi Gras World in New Orleans a few weeks back, so I knew this set would be perfect on a layout. 


The Reveal
I visited the warehouse where a lot of the styrofoam props for the Mardi Gras floats were made. Artists carve the styrofoam, papier-mâché over it and then paint the sculptures. There were a lot of heads and body parts lying around as the parts are recycled, repainted and reused over the years. 



The photos were so colorful I ended up only using black and white cardstock for my papers. I added a hint of Mardi Gras colors in the alphabet stickers of my title and in a few adhesive bubbles that look like beads. For my main embellishments, I made my own stamped feather transparencies. I toned down the colors of my supplies, so they wouldn't compete for attention with the photos. 

The Details
I decided to stamp the feathers on a sheet of acetate so they would blend better into the layout. Also I wouldn't have to fussy cut around each individual barb on the feather. I used a solvent ink pad, Staz-On metallic silver, so it would create a permanent image that wouldn't smear on the acetate. I stamped all three designs multiple times and cut out the ones with a clear image. 




The silvery outlines shows up well on the black background and give just the right hint of Mardi Gras flavor.




The Fun and Games
Fresh Squeezed Stamps is hosting fun games and contests with free stamps as prizes all month long. This week's game called "Dear Santa" is to write a letter to Santa. If you aren't sure how to start, there is a template you can use here. This game ends at midnight tonight. But don't worry if you can't participate in this one, there is one more new game next Monday on their blog. If you want to keep up with the latest news, check out their Facebook page or Twitter feed. If you are interested in being on their design team, check out their design team call that is going on now through Sunday, December 16. 

I'll be back next Thursday for another new reveal.

Thanks so much for droppin' by,

1 comments:

Savannah O'Gwynn said...

OHHHH! I LOVE feathers--what a fun stamp set! LOVE your LO--great idea to stamp on the acetate!!

ps...I miss being on the same DT with you!! You always inspired me with your great designs and projects:) So sorry I haven't stopped by lately--it's been crazy here for about six months! Hopefully in 2013 I slow down a bit:) LOL!

Post a Comment