Monday, August 15, 2011

Be Inspired by a Book Cover

The Challenge:
It is time for another ScrapFIT reveal! This week's challenge is to be inspired by the following children's book cover.  Since I love children's books, this was right up my alley. You can use just parts of it, the color scheme, the 60s feel, the meaning of the title or the overall design. Just be creative and be inspired!

Inspiration for Workout #50

The Prize:
If you'd like to play along, the prize is the following Summer Twilight sampler pack from Precocious Paper, which has their own blog and Etsy store. 


Prize for Workout #50


My Layout:
Here is my interpretation of Workout #50. 

My Workout #50
I was inspired by the cityscape on the cover and decided to use photos from my recent trip to St. Louis. I replaced the focal point of the lamp post on the cover with the trademark arch. I used the layout of the cover as my template. I used an antique filter on my photos to unify them in terms of the color scheme and give it a more retro look. Of course, when I saw the two characters on the cover, I wanted to recreate them. I noticed no one else did that on the DT. Why is that?


It was kind of fun to do our own photo shoot with the self timer. Kevin was giving me acting tips like a director. "You are the wide-eyed daughter distracted by what you see during your first trip into the city. I'm the father focused on getting us to our destination on time." It turned out kind of silly, but I think this layout is representative of my style. You should at the other ones from the design team to see all the different interpretations. 

Close Ups:
Here are some detailed shots of my layout. I fussy cut some buildings from Crate Paper's Neighborhood collection, and popped them up at different heights to continue the city theme into my title area. 


I bought a keychain at St. Louis Arch gift shop, took off the charms and used them on three points in my layout. I cut out some extra clouds and layered them in one corner along with a border sticker. I then journaled briefly there so I wouldn't have to cover up the photos.


This was the title and subtitle.



If you are also inspired by this book cover, then link your layout to the bottom of today's post on ScrapFIT. You have until August 31st to join in Workout #50. Get those creative juices flowing.

Take care,

3 comments:

Sara Zenger said...

I love love love this!!!!

Jenifer Evans aka jennaroo said...

I love how you used the photo exactly like the book, super cool page!

Missy Whidden said...

This is SO perfect! I LOVE how your pics match up perfectly for this. It's all just amazing!

Post a Comment